The perfect time for you is NOW!
Regardless of where you are in your life, you always need to be aware of your personal needs, your self-care level. This is an area that we usually neglect because we are so busy with our daily routine, our have-to-do-list. We also must not feel guilty about addressing this, we must understand we need to take care of this need and just make a plan to do something about it, one step at a time…does not matter how small that step is, what matters is taking that step. Anything that we do for ourselves, will positively impact every area of our lives. When I serve myself I will serve everyone else around me at a higher level.
Why is this so important?
We need to start changing our perspective of the way we look at self-care. It is not a luxury it is a necessity. For example, is it a luxury to put gas in your car? Is it a luxury to eat? Is it a luxury to take care of basic needs? The answer to these questions is simple: no. Keep in mind this is not a selfish act, it is a necessity for your emotional, physical and mental well-being.
Taking time for yourself is a need! Yes, that massage you’ve been neglecting to have; that alone time reading a book; that “catching up time” with friends you’ve been postponing; that glass of wine or beer you seem to never have time for; that yoga class you can never find time in your calendar for; that journal that you love the idea of but never have ‘time’ for…etc. Enough of the countless excuses! The time is now.
1. Take a few minutes to review where are you within this area of your life? Think, on a scale 1-10 (one being the lowest), how cared for are you at this moment? If you’re closer to a 10, congratulations! I encourage you to continue taking care of YOU! If your number is lower, let’s start working towards a better YOU!
2. What are the things you would like to do for yourself? Things that could make you feel energized, rejuvenated, and that would fill your tank? Write these down, do not leave it as a mental note, take a piece of paper and write down those things that would make you feel better.
Here are a few examples:
- Make yourself a bubble bath with some music
- In the morning, while you get ready, put on some music that would inspire/motivate you
- Call that friend you’ve been meaning to talk with
- Go for a walk/run. Exercise
- Take a few minutes to do a breathing exercise
- Plant something
- Go wine tasting
This is a guide…I’m sure you can think of something that you like to do…go ahead give yourself permission to do something nice for yourself!
3. Now that you have a list, grab your calendar, plug in “Me Time”…treat that as if it was one of your kid’s doctor appointment. Ensure you get it done…does not have to be a long time…as you continue to include ‘me time’ in your calendar, you will start plugging in more time. You don’t even have to spend money on that ‘me time’…all you need is yourself.
I know you are busy, and you feel as you do not have extra time for this ‘nonsense’, but this is not just an add on to your to-do list, this is what will allow you to get that to-do list done! As you continue to treat yourself, you will start seeing results and will want to continue to make it a priority…the more you do it that more you will be eager to continue. Give yourself a chance to be happier!
Remember “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it” – Lou Holtz